Terms of Service
These Terms of Service (“Terms”) govern your use of the websites, mobile applications and services (collectively, the “Services”) provided by Carousell (as defined below).
These Terms applies to all users of the Services, including without limitation users who are sellers, buyers, merchants, or contributors of content, information and other materials.
If you are accessing the Services from North or South America, these Terms are between you and Carousell Inc. If you are accessing the Services from elsewhere in the world, these Terms are between you and Carousell Pte. Ltd. For ease of reference, each of Carousell Inc. and Carousell Pte. Ltd. are referred to in these Terms as “Carousell”.
By using the Services in any manner, including but not limited to visiting or browsing the Services, you agree to observe and be bound by these Terms and the additional terms and conditions and policies referenced herein and/or available by hyperlink.
Carousell reserves the right to change or modify these Terms at any time. You will be deemed to have agreed to the amended Terms by your continued use of the Services following the date on which the amended Terms are posted here.
If you have any questions, please refer to the
section of the Services.
2. Use of the Services
Subject to your compliance with these Terms, Carousell grants you a limited, non-exclusive, revocable (with or without cause), non-transferable right and license to use the Services.
You shall use the Services in accordance with these Terms and shall not:
- Upload any Content (as defined below) that violates or infringes another party’s rights of publicity, privacy, copyright, trademark or any other intellectual property right.
- Copy, decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, attempt to derive the source code of, decrypt, interfere with, or disrupt the integrity or the performance of the Services.
- Make any modification, adaptation, improvement, enhancement, translation or derivative work from the Services.
- Violate any applicable laws, rules or regulations in connection with your access or use of the Services.
- Use the Services in violation of or to circumvent any sanctions or embargo.
- Remove, alter or obscure any proprietary notice (including any notice of copyright and trademark) of Carousell or its affiliates, partners, suppliers or licensors.
- Use the Services for any purpose for which it is not designed or intended.
- Use the Services to create or promote a product, service or software that is, directly or indirectly, competitive with or in any way a substitute for the Services or any services, product or software offered by Carousell.
- Use any proprietary information or interfaces of Carousell or any other intellectual property of Carousell in the design, development, manufacture, licensing or distribution of any application, accessories or devices for use with the Services.
- Use the Services to send, post, or otherwise communicate any Content which is offensive, indecent, threatening, abusive, insulting, harassing, defamatory, libellous, deceptive, fraudulent, tortious, obscene, profane, invasive of another person’s privacy, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable.
- Use the Services to send automated, unsolicited or unauthorised messages, advertising or promotional material or any junk mail, spam or chain letters.
- Upload to, or transmit through the Services any data, file, software or link that contains or redirects to a virus, Trojan horse, worm or other harmful components.
- Use any scraper, robot, bot, spider, crawler or any other automated device or means to access, acquire, copy or monitor any portion of the Services, or any data or content found or access through the Services.
- Collect any information in respect of other users without their consent.
- Authorise or encourage anyone to do any of the foregoing.
You acknowledge and agree that:
- your Bumped listings may rise and fall in priority in relation to other users’ listings in accordance with Carousell’s prevailing listing rules, formulae and algorithms;
- each Bump is an instant effect and all fees and/or charges paid by you to us for any Bump are non-refundable;
- Carousell does not represent or warrant that any Bumps will lead to a like, offer, chat and by extension, sale; and
- there will be no refunds in the event that: (i) your Account is suspended or terminated due to a breach of these Terms; and/or (ii) any Content has been removed in accordance with these Terms.
You would need to have an account with Carousell (“Account”) in order to use some parts of the Services. When you create an Account, you represent and warrant that:
- If you are individual, you are at least 18 years of age.
- If you are representing a company, organisation or any other legal entity (“Entity”), you have authority to bind the Entity to these Terms.
- You are capable of entering into and performing legally binding contracts under applicable law.
- All information which you provide is accurate, up to date, truthful and complete.
If you are under 18 years of age, you may only use the Services with the consent of and under the supervision of your parent or legal guardian who shall be responsible for all your activities.
You are responsible for all activities under your Account. You, therefore agree to:
- Keep your password secure.
- Keep your account information up to date at all times.
Comply with Carousell’s policies and all applicable laws with respect to your activities and the Content which you upload to the Services.
You shall not set up multiple Accounts, or transfer or sell your Account or user ID to another party. You must not use another user's Account without their permission.
5. Carousell is a Venue
The Services provide a venue for users to interact with each other, and to buy and sell items. Carousell does not pre-screen a user or the Content provided by a user, nor is Carousell directly involved in transactions between users. Consequently, Carousell has no control over, and you agree that Carousell is not responsible or liable for, any of the following:
- The quality, safety, morality or legality of any aspect of the items listed.
- The truth or accuracy of the listings, the ability of sellers to sell items or the ability of buyers to pay for items.
- The true identity, age, nationality, or sense of humour of a user.
- Any Content posted by users.
You are encouraged to use the features and functions available on the Services to communicate with other users and/or to find out more about an item which a user has put up for sale. However, please exercise common sense and good judgment in your interactions with other users. While Carousell endeavours to keep the Services safe for everyone, your use of the Services and your interactions with other users is entirely at your own risk.
The Services allow users to creating listings and share content, such as photos, videos, comments, data, text, links and other information (“Content”).
You understand and agree that you are solely responsible for the Content which you post or share on or through the Services and any loss or damage which you sustain as result of such Content is solely your responsibility.
You acknowledge that Carousell does not pre-screen Content uploaded by users. Carousell shall have the right (but not the obligation) in its sole discretion to refuse, delete or move any Content that is available on the Services. Without limiting the foregoing, Carousell shall have the right to remove Content in any of the following events:
- If the Content is in breach of these Terms.
- If Carousell has received a complaint or notice of infringement in respect of the Content.
- If the Content is otherwise objectionable.
Carousell may also block Content and the delivery of a communication (including, without limitation, feedback, postings, messages and/or chats) to or from the Services as part of efforts to protect the Services or users, or to otherwise enforce these Terms.
7. Selling and Buying on Carousell
In using the Services to create a listing and offer an item for sale, you agree to comply with the following:
- All items must comply with these Terms and Carousell's policies, which can be found at http://terms.carousell.com/.
- You must provide a fair, accurate and complete description of each item, including your price for the item.
- Each item must have its own listing.
- Your listing for an item may only include text, descriptions, graphics, images and other content relevant to the item.
- All items must be listed in the appropriate category.
Without prejudice to the rest of these Terms and Carousell’s policies, you warrant, in respect of each item which you offer for sale on the Services, that:
- You are the owner of the item, and the item is not stolen.
- The item is not counterfeit and does not infringe upon any third party's copyright, patent, trademark, trade secret or other proprietary or intellectual property rights.
- The sale of the item complies with all laws and regulations which apply to that item.
- The item is not dangerous, hazardous or subject to a recall by a government or manufacturer.
All offers made and accepted through the Services are binding.
If you are a seller who has accepted a buyer’s offer for an item:
- You agree to ship the item or otherwise complete the transaction with the buyer in a prompt manner unless there is an exceptional circumstance, for instance, if the buyer fails to meet the terms of your listing (such as payment method), or you cannot authenticate the buyer's identity.
- You may charge reasonable shipping and handling fees to cover the costs for packaging and mailing the item. However, you must not charge excessive shipping fees or otherwise avoid fees.
- You may not alter the item's price after a sale, or misrepresent the item's location and price.
If you are a buyer whose offer for an item has been accepted by a seller, you agree to make prompt payment to the seller for the item, unless there is an exceptional circumstance, for instance, if you are cannot authenticate the seller’s identity.
In communicating with a user through the Services for the purchase or sale of an item (“Transaction”), you may obtain personal information of that user, such as their email address, phone number and mailing address. Without obtaining prior permission of the user, you shall use such information solely for the purpose of the Transaction.
Notwithstanding the foregoing, as Carousell is not involved in Transactions which are considered solely between users, Carousell cannot ensure that a user (whether as a buyer or seller) would follow through and complete a Transaction.
8. Disputes with users
If you are in dispute with a user of our Services, you are encouraged to contact that user to resolve the situation amicably. If the dispute is notified to Carousell, Carousell will attempt in good faith to facilitate resolution of the dispute but is under no obligation to resolve the same. You release Carousell from any claims, demands and damage arising out of your disputes with users of our Services.
10. Intellectual Property
You acknowledge and agree that the Services and all copyright, patents, trademarks, trade secrets and other intellectual property rights associated therewith are, and shall remain, the property of Carousell. Furthermore, you acknowledge and agree that the source and object code of the Services and the format, directories, queries, algorithms, structure and organization of the Services are the intellectual property and proprietary and confidential information of Carousell. You are not granted any intellectual property rights in and to the Services not expressly granted in these Terms and such rights are hereby reserved and retained by Carousell.
The Services may utilise or include third party software that is subject to open source and third party licence terms (“Third Party Software”). You acknowledge and agree that your right to use such Third Party Software as part of the Services is subject to and governed by the terms and conditions of the open source and third party licenses applicable to such Third Party Software, including, without limitation, any applicable acknowledgements, licence terms and disclaimers contained therein. In the event of a conflict between these Terms and the terms of such open source or third party licences, the terms of the open source or third party licences shall prevail with regard to your use of the relevant third party software. In no event shall the Services or components thereof be deemed to be open source or publicly available software.
You are not authorised by Carousell to use Carousell’s trademarks in any advertising, publicity or in any other commercial manner without the prior written consent of Carousell, which may be withheld for any or no reason.
11. Reporting Unauthorised Content
Carousell reserves the right to suspend or terminate your account and/or your access to the Services if there are repeat complaints against you of intellectual property infringement.
12. Suspension and Termination
You may deactivate your Account at any time through the “Settings” section of your Account.
Carousell reserves the right to, at its sole discretion, and without liability:
- Suspend or terminate your Account and/or your access to the Services at any time, for any reason, and without advance notice.
- Change, modify, suspend or discontinue, whether temporarily or permanently, the whole or any part of the Services at any time, for any reason, and without advance notice.
You acknowledge and agree that if you deactivate your Account or if we suspend or terminate your Account, you will lose any information associated with your Account, including Content. It is your responsibility to backup the Content which you upload to the Services.
Upon termination, all licenses and rights granted to you in these Terms will immediately cease.
13. No Warranty
You acknowledge and agree that the Services are provided on an “as is” and “as available” basis, and that your use of or reliance upon the Services and any content, products or services accessed or obtained thereby is at your sole risk and secretion.
Carousell does not represent or warrant that: (a) the use of the Services will be secure, timely, uninterrupted or error free or that they will be compatible or operate in combination with any other hardware, software, system or data; (b) the Services will meet your requirements or expectations; (c) errors or defects in the Services will be corrected; or (d) the Services and Carousell’s servers are free of viruses or other harmful components.
All conditions, representations and warranties, whether express, implied, statutory or otherwise, including, without limitation, any implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, and non-infringement, are hereby excluded and disclaimed to the fullest extent permitted under the law.
The Services may be subject to limitations, delays, and other problems inherent in the use of the Internet and electronic communications (including problems inherent to the computer or electronic device you use). Carousell is not responsible for any delays, delivery failures, damages, or losses resulting from such problems.
No advice or information, whether oral or written, obtained by you from Carousell or from the Services shall create any representation, warranty or guarantee. Furthermore, you acknowledge that Carousell has no obligation to support or maintain the Services.
Carousell disclaims any and all liability or responsibility in relation to the content made available through the Services, including but not limited to the Content uploaded by users or the third party content and services. Carousell is not responsible or liable in any manner for the third party content and services associated with or utilized in connection with the Services, including the failure of such third party content and services.
14. Limitation of Liability
YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT YOUR ONLY RIGHT WITH RESPECT TO ANY PROBLEMS OR DISSATISFACTION WITH THE SERVICES IS TO REQUEST FOR TERMINATION OF YOUR ACCOUNT AND/OR DISCONTINUE ANY USE OF THE SERVICES.
IN NO EVENT SHALL CAROUSELL OR ITS SUBSIDIARIES, AFFILIATES, PARTNERS, SUPPLIERS OR LICENSORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR ACCESS OR USE OF OR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICES OR ANY THIRD PARTY CONTENT AND SERVICES, OR ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR CONDUCT OR THE CONDUCT OF OTHER USERS IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OF THE SERVICES INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DEATH, BODILY INJURY, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS AND/OR OTHER DAMAGES RESULTING FROM COMMUNICATIONS OR MEETINGS WITH OTHER USERS OR PERSONS YOU MEET THROUGH THE SERVICES, WHETHER OR NOT THE DAMAGES WERE FORESEEABLE AND WHETHER OR NOT CAROUSELL WAS ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, CAROUSELL’S AGGREGATE LIABILITY TO YOU (WHETHER UNDER CONTRACT, TORT, STATUTE OR OTHERWISE) SHALL NOT EXCEED THE AMOUNT OF SINGAPORE DOLLARS ONE ONLY (S$1.00). THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS WILL APPLY EVEN IF THE ABOVE STATED REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
You will indemnify and hold harmless Carousell, its subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, suppliers, licensors, shareholders, officers, employees, independent contractors and agents and all successors and/or assigns from and against any and all actions, claims, proceedings, damages, losses, costs and expenses resulting from: (a) your use of the Services; (b) your Content; (c) any use of your Account; (d) your breach of these Terms; (e) your breach of any statutory requirement, duty or law; or (f) your violation of any rights of another person or entity.
Carousell does not warrant that the Services will be compatible or interoperable with your device or any other piece of hardware, software, equipment or device installed on or used in connection with your device. Furthermore, you acknowledge that compatibility and interoperability problems can cause the performance of your device to diminish or fail completely, and may result in permanent damage to your device, loss of data located on your device, and corruption of the software and files located on your device. You acknowledge and agree that Carousell and its subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, suppliers and licensors shall have no liability to you for any losses suffered resulting from or arising in connection with compatibility or interoperability problems.
You and Carousell are independent contractors, and no agency, partnership, joint venture, employee-employer or franchiser-franchisee relationship is intended or created by these Terms.
If any provision of these Terms is held unenforceable, then such provision will be modified to reflect the parties' intention. All remaining provisions of these Terms shall remain in full force and effect.
Except as provided herein, any failure by Carousell to exercise a right or require performance of an obligation in these Terms shall not affect Carousell’s ability to exercise such right or require such performance at any time thereafter nor shall the waiver of a breach of these Terms constitute a waiver of any subsequent breach.
You shall not assign any rights or delegate any obligations herein without our prior written consent and any attempted assignment or delegation in contravention of this provision shall be null and void and of no force or effect.
These Terms constitute the entire agreement between you and Carousell and supersedes all prior or contemporaneous understandings and/or agreements between you and Carousell.
18. Governing Law and Jurisdiction
You hereby agree that the laws of Singapore shall govern this Terms and that the courts of Singapore shall have non-exclusive jurisdiction over any dispute arising out of or in connection with these Terms.
Effective on February 10th, 2017
Archive of Previous Terms & Policies